Ask The Expert: My grandmother is no longer able to care for my grandfather but he is unwilling to move into an Assisted Living facility. What are our options?

posted by: Ben A. Neiburger Elder Law Attorney

You need to get additional professional help to guide you and your grandparents through this difficult time. You may want to contact your local county senior services office to see if a social worker can come out and talk to your family about the options. You may also want to hire a professional caseworker (see to help you with this. It is very important, in my opinion, to get outside help. In my experience, about one-third of the caregiver spouses die before the sick spouse as a direct or indirect result of caregiver stress.

Back to Elder Law Expert


Posted by:RafaelMartinez

9/26/2012 10:28:14 AM

Our grandfather lives in OH and is very sick. He is currently in a nursing home and Medicare is temporarily covering expenses but when they run out it will be too expensive. He wishes to leave and travel to PR to be with his family. Is he able to discharge from the home? Can the social worker or the nursing home object? We would like to bring him back to PR.

Posted by:asvebz

8/7/2012 10:35:47 PM

w4mVes , [url=]lwyjieltiiaw[/url], [link=]xuqgfgzqtysb[/link],

Posted by:jzrvedgewy

8/6/2012 3:50:44 PM

AKUnlC , [url=]mcwfqudgajfa[/url], [link=]neytrcmhmpaq[/link],

Posted by:Mbelu

8/5/2012 12:22:38 AM

I'm extremely imseesprd with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one these days..

Posted by:Barbara

2/28/2011 6:42:54 AM

My husband needs to be in a nursing home , but medicare has finished there time to pay for the year, My husband has workers comp that is suppose to pay for live but is bulking. My husband is in a hole. What can I do or get help? Thanks Barbara Byrd

Leave a Comment

Enter the word shown above in the textfield to the left.
  Yes, I would like to receive caregiving updates from