Ask The Expert: Where do I find a list of substantiated complaints against an assisted living facility?

posted by: Lisa Sneddon Founder & President, Senior Living Experts

The important thing to remember is that each state regulates and monitors assisted living facilities, they are not federally regulated. You need to find the state licensing agency in your state and then you can contact them.  A great resource for that is this website I found:

You can also contact the local long term care ombusdman in your area.  To find one call 1-800-677-1116.  In addition, each assisted living home should have a state complaint file handy.  In most cases they are required to have it available to anyone who asks for it and should be near the front door or in a binder at the reception desk.

Back to Assisted Living Expert

Leave a Comment

Enter the word shown above in the textfield to the left.
  Yes, I would like to receive caregiving updates from