Ask The Expert: My 99 yr old grandmother has been moved into Ridge Crest Nursing Center in Warrensburg, Mo. The only medical problem she has is bad vertigo. She was originally placed there because she had a bad scrape on her shin that wouldn't heal. She recovered from that and wants to go back to living on her own on a 180 acre farm. Her nearest son is 3.5 hours away and is in his seventies. Her granddaughter is 1.5 hrs away and I am in Texas. Would it cost more to have someone stay with her like "Visiting Angels"? What options are there for this situation? Thank you

posted by: Lisa Sneddon Founder & President, Senior Living Experts

Senior care options include senior home care provided by a professionally managed and licensed senior home care agency. Senior home care agencies must meet the guidelines of their state and protect you and the senior in their care by providing active care management and paying for all payroll taxes and insurance. This way, if the caregiver needs a day off or has an injury, the agency will send a substitute caregiver and worker's compensation insurance will assist with any injuries - the senior and their estate are not liable. Also, the caregiver will have benefits such as unemployment insurance and health care and bonuses. Most importantly, the caregiver will also be cared for and managed as the agency will be sure they have proper training and assistance as special situations arise. You should discuss with the nursing home potential senior home care agencies in the area or may submit a request here:

Back to Assisted Living Expert

Leave a Comment

Enter the word shown above in the textfield to the left.
  Yes, I would like to receive caregiving updates from