Certified Nursing Aide (C.N.A.) License and Certification Transfer

How do you transfer your Certified Nursing Aide or Home Health Aide License when you relocate to a new state?

If your Certified Nursing Aide (C.N.A.) or Home Health Aide (H.H.A.) license is active and in good standing, and you wish to relocate and work in another state, you need to officially transfer your nursing aide or home health aide license or certification to your new state. In order for the new state to recognize the certification approval you received in your home state, you must request Reciprocity.

Step 1: Certification Transfer

Contact the Nurse Aid Registry in your new state and request an “Application for Enrollment by Reciprocity”. Many (but not all) states have reciprocity agreements between them. If reciprocity exists between the states, then you are not required to take the state exam again. If the state does not have reciprocity requirements, then you may have to take the state licensing practical and theoretical exam again in the state to which you are transferring.

Step 2: Provide Identification

In addition to the application fee, you may need to provide the following verification information to your new state’s registry:

  • social security number
  • driver’s license
  • present C.N.A or C.H.H.A. state approval
  • most recent employment details
  • educational proofs
  • background check

Because reciprocity requirements vary from state to state, it’s in your best interest to speak to someone in the new state’s agency. Verify what paperwork is needed and their preferred method of delivery (fax or mail).


Remember to send copies of your original identification and certification documents, not the originals. Include your mailing address, e-mail address and phone number with the instructions for where to mail your new certification verification.