Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit for Senior Care

What is it?

A special “pension benefit” which pays for a private Caregiver to assist in the daily activities of living, including eating, bathing, dressing and mobility. Includes care in the home and in assisted living communities. Sometimes it includes care in a nursing home if the patient is blind or has mental or physical incapacity.

Who Qualifies?

Veterans who served in the following wars (includes spouse/surviving spouse). Veteran must have served 90 consecutive days, with at least 1 of those days during “wartime”, even if they were not in a combat zone.

  • Indian War
  • Spanish-American War, including the Moro Province hostilities
  • Mexican Border War
  • World War I
  • World War II
  • Korean Conflict
  • Vietnam Era
  • Persian Gulf War

Financial Qualifications:

Less than $80,000 in assets (excluding home and vehicles)

How much care does Aid & Attendance pay for?

  • Up to $1,519 per month for a Veteran
  • Up to $976 per month for a Spouse
  • Up to $1,801 per month for a Couple

How do you start an Aid & Attendance Caregiver?

You must file the government claim forms and have medical doctor approval.

What Filing Forms are Required?

Two government forms are required along with doctor’s statement.

What paperwork must be included with the forms?

In order to expedite approval, you will want to include all the requested documents. While reimbursement for care services performed prior to approval is possible, you should not count on it.

For more information view Caregiverlist’s Checklist of Aid & Attendance Documents

Hot Tip: How to Get Services Fast

The quickest way to have services begin is upon discharge from a Veteran’s hospital. The Social Worker at the hospital will obtain authorization from the Veteran’s physician and income and asset verification from the Veteran and create a Care Plan for aid services to begin upon hospital discharge. Otherwise, the best way for a clear path to approval is to obtain authorization from your doctor at a Veteran’s clinic. Separately, any doctor can provide the medical authorization needed for filing the forms.

You may find locations for Veteran’s clinics and hospitals here.

What Senior Home Care Agencies service Aid & Attendance clients?

The government has established hourly reimbursement rates for both Home Health Aid and Certified Nursing Aid care services for the program. Senior Home Care Agencies must agree to the government rate and follow the billing procedures, which include providing documentation of timesheets with the Aid’s signature. Veteran hospitals establish relationships with qualifying Senior Home Care Agencies in their area but will work with any licensed agency willing to agree to their policies. Another way to expedite the Aid & Attendance approval process is to work with a Senior Home Care Agency which has already been approved to provide care through the program.

Need more Assistance with Application for Aid & Attendance Benefit?

This non-profit organization assists veterans with filling for benefits: