Ask The Expert: What happens when the money runs out?

posted by: Lisa Sneddon Founder & President, Senior Living Experts

Many assisted living communities do not take Medicaid as a form of payment, so if the money runs out while you are there, you will need to relocate to a facility (usually a nursing home) that does. Some Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) will continue to allow you to live in their community, provided that you have lived there and paid privately for a pre-determined number of years.

Back to Assisted Living Expert



8/28/2012 10:00:20 AM

Most nursing homes are now run for profit and are corporate owned. Money is spent on elaborate decor of these homes AND NOT IN NEEDED TRAINING OF STAFF ETC. (especially for Alzheimer and Dementia patients) They are underpaid and untrained (many are immigrants)and are responsible to take care of our loved ones (not the most pleasant job at times for them) while the place looks elegant to impress visitors and those seeking placement for a loved one. DON'T BE FOOLED BY LOOKS!! IT IS CARE THAT IS MOST IMPORTANT! DO YOUR RESEARCH...I've been there done that!...SAD!!! WHEN AND IF YOU PLACE A LOVED ONE IN A NURSING HOME, CHECK ON THEM AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE DAY, NOT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY. When the DAY STAFF leaves for the day IT IS QUITE A DIFFERENT STORY AT NIGHT.

Posted by:lisa

8/7/2012 2:20:26 PM

Do assisted living homes that accept federal funds have the right to throw out a patient because the guardianship has been changed?

Leave a Comment

Enter the word shown above in the textfield to the left.
  Yes, I would like to receive caregiving updates from